Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Remembering 9-11


I can't forget this day because it was an entire year of changes for me. I met my husband that year, I gave control of my life back to Christ that year and I started a 5 year teaching season of my life at a school called Evangel Christian Academy. All of these things changed me forever. All for the good. And 9-11 was such a day that I can remember facial expressions, smells and sounds like it was yesterday. So I don't just remember that day, but the whole year.
But to remember that day I would have to say this...it was after work and I had spent the whole day glued to the TV and was told to go fill up on gas. Like every other city, we started to panic. I was living in the capital of Florida so we were really panicing. I remember this. I remember pulling up to a stop light and looking at faces of drivers all around me. People were like "Dawn of the dead" Absolute zombies, but if they made eye contact, they would share a tear with you, a simple nod, a smile of reassurance. People would let you ahead in line, allow you to go first, hold doors. There was a quiet peace over the city that was very unique and astounding. So unexpected. It was so quiet. People were in line for gas and so quiet. Just looking at each other and giving looks of "I love my country" like I had NEVER seen before. Then the American flags began to pop out EVERYWHERE. On doors, windowsn, cars, store fronts, mail boxes....
I had never been more proud to be an American. I had never been more heart broken for America. I have never loved my country more, than I did that day.
I chose this picture because I think it's how we all felt that day....


MckLinky Blog Hop

3 comments:

Leah said...

I loved your post...so very true about the after-effects of 9/11. Now we're all just back to the fighting again. :(
On that day, I was in the shower when the planes hit, and didn't hear about anything until I got in the car and was listening to the radio. I cried all the way to work.

Barclay Kathryn said...

You're so right about it being so quiet. Thanks for sharing. I went to Trinity International University in Deerfield, IL.

christy rose said...

What a beautiful post Tammy!